In the 1980s, the notion of corporate culture, commonly referred to as company culture, gained significant traction, reaching widespread popularity by the 1990s. Professionals, including managers, sociologists, and academics, embraced this term to characterize the unique ethos within a company.
Annually observed on September 18, Global Company Culture Day empowers organizations and leaders to optimize productivity, profitability, and employee contentment through a robust company culture. Established by the Global Company Culture Association in 2019, this day highlights the significance of ‘company culture,’ defined as the collective attitudes and behaviors exhibited by a company and its staff.
The Evolution of Company Culture
Emerging in the 1980s, the concept of corporate culture, or company culture, gained prominence in the 1990s. This term, embraced by managers, sociologists, and academics, encapsulates an organization’s culture, encompassing behaviors, values, and communication norms. Factors like national cultures, economic trends, international trade, company size, and products also shape corporate culture.
Shifting Landscape of Corporate Culture
In recent years, technological advancements and globalization have reshaped corporate culture. Successful corporate cultures typically exhibit traits such as vision, values, practices, people, narrative, and location, profoundly impacting overall performance and employee attraction. For instance, fostering an innovation-friendly culture is pivotal for companies focusing on innovation.
5 Workplace Facts to Know
- Tuesday is often regarded as the most productive day of the workweek.
- Music can enhance productivity in the workplace.
- Adults who manage 7.5 to nine hours of sleep daily tend to be approximately 20% more productive.
- On an average weekday, about 25% of time is spent reading and sending emails.
- Mondays witness the highest rate of employee absenteeism.
Global Company Culture Day Dates
- 2023: September 18 (Monday)
- 2024: September 18 (Wednesday)
- 2025: September 18 (Thursday)
- 2026: September 18 (Friday)
- 2027: September 18 (Saturday)