Mumbai Software Engineer Loses Over ₹17 Lakh in Online Job Scam Promising Hotel Booking Role
- Mumbai techie falls victim: Loses more than Rs 17 lakh in fraudulent online scheme tied to hotel booking employment.
- Scammers utilized Telegram: Contacted the individual and skillfully manipulated him into making numerous payments through deceptive tactics.
- Cautionary advice: Experts recommend seeking part-time opportunities exclusively via legitimate online platforms to prevent falling prey to such scams.
In recent months, a surge in online scams has gripped the nation, with unsuspecting individuals falling prey to enticing part-time job offers promising extra income. However, these seemingly lucrative opportunities, often presented by strangers, have unveiled a disturbing trend of deceit. In another distressing incident mirroring this pattern, a 42-year-old Mumbai-based IT professional became the latest victim, losing a staggering ₹17 lakh in the process.
According to a report by PTI, the unfortunate ordeal unfolded on August 3 when the IT employee, working at a prestigious tech firm, was approached by a male-female duo. They lured him with an ostensibly legitimate part-time job opportunity centered around hotel bookings, as disclosed by a police official familiar with the case. The scammers initiated contact through the widely-used messaging app Telegram, providing a link to commence the purported employment.
The initial request for a registration fee soon evolved into a series of payments, all under various pretexts, as the victim was artfully manipulated. Assured of an effortless income stream, the techie continued to comply with the scammers’ demands, ultimately transferring an alarming sum of ₹17.28 lakh. Yet, when he inquired about his promised earnings, silence was his only response.
It was at this juncture that the victim realized the extent of the deception and subsequently filed a case under the IT Act.
Protecting Yourself from Scams
In light of these disturbing incidents, safeguarding oneself against such scams is of paramount importance. Here are key steps to consider:
- Utilize Reputable Job Portals: Seek part-time opportunities exclusively through established platforms like LinkedIn, Naukri.com, Indeed, and others dedicated to job listings.
- Verify the Source: If you explore job offers via alternative channels, conduct a thorough background check on the person extending the offer. Request pertinent details, such as their full name and company affiliation. Simple online searches can often reveal the legitimacy of the company.
- Exercise Caution with Personal Information: Be cautious when divulging personal information like your name and phone number. Share such details only on reputable and verified websites.
- Financial Transactions: Never transfer money to an unfamiliar bank account, and refrain from sharing your banking credentials with anyone. Legitimate companies do not require payment for job offers.
Vigilance in the face of enticing opportunities is your best defense against falling victim to such online scams.